Thanx For Visiting........

Thanks for visiting my blog and you are more than welcome to contribute by commenting on the post.

Moments Cherished

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Fun nd Festive

Hey guys its been a while since i updated my blog. What can i say, its just that i was not inspired to write about anything. Just few hours, back i was just glancing at my diwali pictures. I couldnt help but start to think about those days of colorful celebration back there in my country - INDIA. vow floods of memories rushed into my mind. Could there be anything inspiring than to write about the fun that we had during the festivals. I would like to share about how i look at these festivals at different phases of my life.


I grew up in a joint family. It was a huge house which will always be crowded. Needless to say during festivals. All my cousins(father's side) would gather. My mom nd dad would have bought dresses for us long back. I couldnt wait for the day to wear it. Shopping for diwali nd pongal itself is fun. Not once have i bought dress at karur(my native). We would either go to chennai or trichy or cbe for dress shopping. My grandpa would ask us to make a list of crackers that we need. We always would argue and fight with vignesh(my bro)while making the list. We would end up buying all the items. Never did once we finish all the crackers that we bought that year. We would always store for next diwali. My mom would wake us up early in the morning on diwali nd give us oil bath. Me nd Priya(my sis) would always ask for shampoo but my mom wouldnt let us use. she wud only give shikaka. She will tell us the story of Lord Krishna killing Narakasura while bathing us. Every year we would ask for the same story. Then its pooja time. All of us would gather nd watch our grandpa doing the pooja. Just after pooja we would run to play with crackers but our moms would not let us go until v finish our breakfast. There'll be plenty of yummy nd delicious sweets nd dishes. But we would just swallow and rush to play the crackers. Actually i have a small confession. Never did once i have a burnt a loud cracker(atom bombs, 1000 walas or hydrogen bombs). Flowerpot is the max in my list. But priya is very daring. She used to burn any kind of crackers. All of them (my bros nd sis) would take turns to burn crackers. Whenever priya gets her turn i tell a silent prayer. When i think of it now i coudnt control the smile. In the night time my dad and his brothers(my chithappa) would burn rockets. All of us will watch the fireworks from our terrace. I could never forget a diwali when priya burnt a whole bunch of crackers by mistake. We all came running horrified. We could see only smoke. My mom crying nd there she comes from the middle of the smoke. My mom went wild and dint allow her to play with crackers for sometime. However she worked her way out. If this is diwali, the celebration of pongal would start the previous night itself. My mom is the best in rangoli. She always wins the competition for rangoli in our street. We used to help her in coloring. vow those were really the best times.


The next phase is during my college and working days when i was away from home. During these festivals i spend time with my family. Priya was still at home and eagerly waiting for me to come home coz i always would get something for her whenever i come. But as uasual we start our fight the very next day(mostly bcoz of TV remote). After all what are sisters without fight. But now my mom would support me as i've come from hostel. She would cook all my favourite dishes(fish curry, chilli chicken, ...). We were no longer intrested in crackers or the narakasura story. We would start our day with pooja. Now my dad did the pooja as v dont have our grandpa any loger. Then we would all settle down in the livinng room in front of tv with all yummy sweets nd snacks my mom made for diwali. We have to constantly pull our mom from kitchen as she always finds some work. I would really feel bad when i have to go back to work or college. My mom would pack diwali sweets for me nd my friends. I couldnt forget a diwali when my dad came to pick me up from college. He was waiting in the visitor's hall. I was coming from my hostel with my laundry bag. He was actually noticing me while i was walking towards him i was wishing my friends. The entire trip he was completely teasing me for the way i was wishing my friends. He said that i got a funny accent and was immitating me. He still makes fun of me using that.


The next phase is after my wedding. That sure is one great diwali. We celebrated our first diwali(thala diwali) in karur as we were supposed to. I was really astounded by the way senthil was treated by my parents. My mom made made all of his favourite dishes. She wouldnt even let him get up from the couch. Everything comes to his place. Senthil was pulling my leg by saying that he's like a king and i'm his maid. Actually i was thinking, every *** has its own day. Its clearly his day. (just kidding). My dad would never allow us to go for a movie on Diwali coz of the crowd. But this time since senthil asked he booked tickets for us. So my long time wish was granted. Thats how i watched ATM(first day first show). However the movie was horrible(thats a different story altogether).




Hmmmmm now to present. I celebrated the past 2 diwalis in Canada. Last year in Otawa nd dis year in Toronto. Last year it was just a gettogether with friends. This year i had total fun. In the morning we prayed nd there was a small celebration in senthil's office. We watched everyone dancing nd singing. i participated in Rangoli and won too(did i mention that all the 3 teams who participated won). Then we had nice Indian lunch and watched Adhavan(movie). In the night we enjoyed the fireworks. What more could i ask for?... ofcourse my family....s i missed them a lot. All we did is share the diwali pictures....

2 comments: